Thursday, January 15, 2009

Positive

Food wars continue. I don't even want to talk about it any more.
Suffice it to say that I'm exhausted.

But let's try to be more positive.

New things in Robbie's world:

He's getting better on his tummy. Tummy time is still a very short game because he despises (DESPISES) it, but I've been working on giving him the two minutes he'll tolerate several time a day.

This has helped him with his pushing up. He's always had really great head control, but he never even tries to push up because as soon as you flip him over he starts screaming hysterically. But we're not able to get him over and he'll occasionally even try to push up on his own.

If you put him up on his elbows, he can hold it for several minutes.

He's also getting more and more vocal. I'll upload a video later that you can hear him cooing. You won't be able to see much because it was darkish in the room and they always upload even darker, but you can hear him talking.

His latest thing is that any time something new is in his mouth, he starts talking. A new toy, my hands, his hands, whatever- he gets really vocal. He sometimes does the same thing when he's eating solids.

Which is another thing- solids are going pretty well.

So far he's had rice cereal, avocado and oat cereal. He's not too sure about the avocado. I think the consistency was a little odd for him. But we're not giving up. Avocados have LOTS of calories, so I'm hoping I can get him to love it. The rice cereal is okay but doesn't travel all the way through his system so well. The oat cereal, though- he really likes. And it's helping to keep him regular so it's a double bonus.

We're going to try the avocado again for a few days then I think we might try sweet potatoes.

I'm really focusing on vegetables that have more calories than breastmilk. Anything to give him a boost since he's still not eating. (Oh wait, we're not talking about that.)

Robbie is also falling more in love with his hands every day. Reaching for things, grabbing them- and that best part- putting things in his mouth. He's working on trying to control his paci and on the rare occasion that he does eat a bottle, he wants to have his hands on it so he can "hold" it.

He's also smiling and laughing more and more. Those are my favorite parts. Sometimes when he catches my eye and just beams I'm reminded all over again how incredibly lucky I am. The kid loves me. What more could a mom want?

He's also sleeping great at night. If we could get that issue we're not discussing under control, I have no doubt that he'd sleep through the night. He goes to bed about 11pm every night and sleeps until 9, 10, sometimes 11am.

Napping is still intermittent, but with a 10-12 hour stretch at night, even with getting up to (try to) feed him every 3 hours and pumping, I'm able to get enough sleep to function most days.

And of course, he's as handsome and adorable and precious as ever.

With that- pictures to prove it!

--Trish


I finally decided this Bebe Pod thing isn't so bad after all.



It certainly is a different perspective up here.



You know, I think I really like it!


Daddy doesn't feel good so I'm keeping him company.



Boy, he's demanding. I need a nap.



My daddy is sooooo funny!



I have a new toy. Mommy says eventually my feet will touch the bottom.



It sure does taste good.



And it has cool toys!



Lookie what else I can do!



It sure is hard.



Mommy is trying to feed me this new stuff called "cereal." I'm still a little unsure.




And the "video" that's really just audio.

3 comments:

Martha Compton said...

Trish- He is so cute! Campbell hated tummy time, too and is only finally now (at almost 1 year) tolerating it. I'm thinking of you as you're struggling with the issues we're not talking about :)
Hugs from a fellow preemie mommy.

Valerie said...

He takes the best pictures!

Macchiatto said...

cuteness!!

Followers