Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Next step

Talked to our pediatrician today.

I started with "We are NOT okay here."

I pretty much laid it out. He's eating less and less. I used to be able to get him to eat in his sleep but even that is a struggle now. At night he'll eat 15 or 20cc and refuse more, then wake up starving again an hour and a half later, eat another 15 or 20cc and we start over.

I told her he DID gain some weight last week with the aid of the olive oil, but that sometimes now he's not wanting solid food either. (I think it's the olive oil.)


She said that she was getting close to the point of feeling like we needed to do something drastic like admit him to the hospital. I told her that I was desperate and if she felt like that would help us- we'd do it.

She wants to try one more thing. She wants us to try some Nutramigen AA hypoallergenic formula. If that doesn't work, then the next step is that she's admitting him to the hospital for a work up.

She assured me that she IS taking this very seriously and we WILL get to the bottom of it.

Just hearing her say those words lifted a weight. I finally feel heard.

Now I just have to FIND the formula (no one seems to carry it) and give it a try.

Wish us luck.

--Trish

2 comments:

Anne said...

Sorry to read about Robbie's feeding problems. It nca be very frustrating and dispairing.

I usually order Eliza's formula (Resource 1.5 kcal now called Boost Kids Essentials 1.5 kcal) and Benecalorie supplement direct from the manufacturer (Nestle) since they usually offer free shipping and the prices are competitive.

Enfamil currently has an offer for a free sample of Nutramigen and offers free shipping too: http://www.enfamil.com/app/iwp/enfamil/certificate.do?dm=enf&id=/Consumer_Home2/Enf_Tools_Resources/Enf_Programs_Offers/Nutramigensample&iwpst=B2C&ls=0&csred=1&r=3410866579

Hope this helps.

happymomof4 said...

I hope you have found his formula- we could find that at Meijers and at Babies R us (some stores have it behind the counter because it is so expensive) when our son was taking it. Sorry I haven't posted this sooner- we have been dealing with an ice storm here- no power since Wed. early morning- we have been staying in a hotel and now currently at my parents. Best wishes God Bless

Followers