Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Roseola

Well, we officially have a reason for last weekend's fever.

I got home from work tonight and as I was indulging in an evening snuggle, I realize Robbie had a rash all over his tummy. Upon further inspection, it's up his chest, all over his back, even a very small patch up his neck onto his face. I knew almost immediately what it was.

After some quick googling, I felt pretty confident that it was Roseola. I put in a call to the doctor's exchange just to make sure there was nothing else we needed to do. The nurse called back and agreed it was very likely Roseola and that no, there was no treatment at all. We just have to keep him home until he's no longer contagious, usually 1-3 days until the rash is gone.

Roseola is pretty benign in the grand scheme of illnesses. Usually 3-7 days of a highish fever (usually 103) followed by 1-3 days of rash. It is sometimes accompanied by a sore throat and usually some lethargy. Robbie's pretty much textbook. His fever was 102 all weekend, but that was with Motrin and Tylenol. He's definitely been tired. The poor boy took a nearly 4 hour nap at daycare today. I'm pretty sure that's a record.

Since it doesn't usually trouble adults, we're probably all fine. And really, Robbie seems fine, too. He was happy and playing tonight, even annoyed with me for trying to interrupt his precious playtime to try to get a few pictures. But I managed anyway!


No time to look at the camera, Mom. I have a very important toy to chew.



Yucky rash



His whole trunk looks like this



But he's still happy to play!



--Trish

1 comments:

Cassie said...

Poor guy. I have to say I have had this. The rash wasn't anything but that, a rash, no itching or anything. I am glad he seems to be dong better.

Followers